So… I apparently don’t know how to blog very well. In January, I put together a calendar for posts and ideas on what to write about and well that calendar went out the window by February! I planned 1 post a week. Ha! Definitely not happening at the moment, but maybe in the future!
I guess a lot has happened since the last post and by a lot I mean I have quilted, I stitched and I quilted some more. I am back at school full time which has drastically impacted my sewing…this job thing is killing me! Realistically it is the commute to school that really impacts the day. I work 30 miles from work – I live in the northwest suburbs and teach in the south suburbs. The morning drive is usually peaceful, the afternoon drive is just annoying!
What have I finished in the last month?
- Nightingale quilt featuring Florida by Sarah Watts for Ruby Star Society. Pattern by Lo and Behold Stitchery
- Jane the Manatee featuring Florida by Sarah Watts for Ruby Star Society (I used the remnants from the Nightingale quilt!) This was my first ever foundation paper piecing quilt and it was a month long sew along! Pattern by My Crowded Nest.
- Layer Cake Lattice featuring Riptide by Citrus and Mint Designs for Riley Blake Designs. Pattern from Primrose Cottage Quilts
- Land of Liberty Log Cabin Quilt featuring Land of Liberty by My Mind’s Eye for Riley Blake Designs. Pattern just me!
- HST Baby Quilt featuring Just Sayin’ by My Mind’s Eye for Riley Blake Designs. I used one a half charm packs and made 4.5-inch half square triangles. Then arranged in a pretty diamond pattern! Sew fun and easy to make! And fast! The fabric line is a few years old. I had a few charm packs squirreled away and was lucky to find backing fabric on Etsy!
- Lloyd and Lola Llama using a variety of Riley Blake Designs prints from my stash. I actually started this quilt in April or May of 2020, got the llamas finished and half the boarders and then stopped. I just decided to finish it one day and I am so glad I did! I royally screwed up the backing on this quilt while it was being quilted. So that means the quilt is mine forever and I learned a few good lessons on the longarm.
All these quilts have actually been quilted AND bound! Who am I?!
Actually, the clutter of unfinished projects is starting to make me itch, so I am working getting those finished. I took all the WIPs out of the closet in my sewing room and put them on the floor. If I want a clean floor, I must finish the project!
Right now, I just step over the projects, although I did finish the Llamas!
What I have been working on in the last month…
- Granny Square Quilt. I am using a Jelly Roll from Corey Yoder’s new fabric line Spring Brook for Moda. I thought the florals and bees were just adorable and would look great in a more traditional block. For the granny square block, I used a free tutorial put out by Emily Dennis of Quilty Love that I found years ago through her blog.
The front is coming together now and I absolutely love it! The backing fabric is the yellow bee print from the fabric line and I am excited to get it quilted!
- My Favorite Color is Moda Quilt Along months 2 and 3. I was so excited that my blocks were featured on the Moda social media pages! An entire post was about my blocks! That was so awesome!
- Sewcialites Quilt Along from Fat Quarter Shop. This is a free quilt along that gets posted on Fridays! We are nearing the end of the quilt along and I am about 5 blocks behind. Oops! No worries, I will get caught up!
I am thinking of offering a discount to other members of the Sewcialites Quilt Along for Longarm Quilting. Stay tuned!
- Shine on Sampler Quilt Along from Fat Quarter Shop and Bonnie and Camille. This is about halfway through and loving it. The fabrics are just stunning, and I am such a non-waste fabric person that I have enough fabric right now to make at least 1 more quilt! Not sure what kind quilt that will be, but I am definitely going to be making something fun.
Cross Stitching – I am now addicted.
- Stitch Quarterly from Fat Quarter Shop is a quarterly subscription. I saw that membership spots were open, so I grabbed one. I was not sure I wanted to stay in the club as it is an expense I do not really need, but my first subscription came and I am so glad I didn’t cancel! I fully finished the Fresh Cut project and I love it!
- The Real Housewives of Cross Stitch – You cannot deny they have the cutest charts! I finished 1 Christmas ornament and have started a few other patriotic charts that I am loving!
The ladies had a meet n’ greet at a local shop in Glen Ellyn. My calendar was free and I thought why not?! It was a great event! Priscilla and Chelsea were fabulous, the ladies at the stitch shop (Tomorrow’s Heirlooms) were lovely and I met some great stitchers, most of whom also happened to be teachers!
- Flea Market Flowers by Lori Holt for It’s Sew Emma and Fat Quarter Shop. This is a stitch along that will be happening in June. But I couldn’t resist and started early! I am taking my time, as to enjoy the process. I got the border done and 2 flowers. The border alone took about 5 hours! OMG!
So I guess I have been busy in the past month and half! Keeps me out of trouble! We have lots of new fabrics available and on order, so stay tuned for those coming soon!
Happy Quilting and Stitching!